Cars vs. Public Transport

I love to drive. I mean, really love to drive. If people want to use me as their private taxi service, I'm fine with it. Want a lift to Newcastle which is 2 hours away? Sure! No problem! Stop offs along the way? Bring it. I have my own ways of dealing with other drivers and traffic which (usually) don't involve me screaming at other drivers.

That being said, when I had to give up my car a few months ago, I wasn't as sad as I thought I would be. Granted I hadn't been able to drive it for a few months before that because of a repair which was going to cost more than I could afford at the time, but it didn't affect me like I thought it would.

Now, where I'm going with this is; I've realised how lazy I've been as a car driver. I had lived under the assumption that if I don't have a car, then there are lots of places that I won't be able to get to. Not to mention incidental exercise had dropped significantly.

It wasn't until the other night when I left work of a mind to catch a different bus so I could go to Westfields on the way home to pick up some groceries that I realised just how much more I'm getting out and just how many places I can go on public transport. Even finding places that I never would have found out about had it not been for the bus rides. Then there's the added bonus of using travel time to catch up on reading, writing and drawing. OK, so the drawing thing is hard on the bus and my writing is full of bumps, but at least I'm getting more of it done than when I was driving. It's so much harder to quickly jot down an idea or do a quick sketch when you're driving... Plus I think there are some rules about keeping your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road...

So, I think I'm going to hold off getting another car. At least for a while. Anyone else decided to forgo having their own vehicle?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
Larissa
I'm a mum who (would you believe) is still trying to find her way. There's so many distractions in this world! A few years ago I enrolled to do a Bachelor's Degree in Naturopathy, now I'm questioning that decision. Currently re-exploring my creative side and this is where I'll be sharing it. Printables, drawings, my daughters creations, and whatever we whip up in the kitchen on the weekend. Explore, enjoy and don't be a stranger ;)
View my complete profile

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

About this blog